What is polyurethane? Polyurethane is one of the materials in the polymer group. It was first invented by Otto Bayer, a German scientist, in 1937 by synthesizing diisocyanate reacts with a diol. Later on, diols were replaced by polyols, which have higher molecular weights. In this way, polyurethane has gained a more flexible structure.
This substance has many different types. It is one of the popular industries today. Well, what are polyurethane types? There are options such as flexible polyurethane foam and rigid polyurethane foam among the varieties. There are also binders such as coatings, adhesives, sealants, and elastomers.
- Rigid Polyurethane Foam: It is energy efficient. This popular type is also versatile. The most important feature of these foams is to reduce the energy cost. Rigid polyurethane foams are used in air barrier sealants, doors, and insulated windows.
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane: Its abbreviation is TPU. It is the most resistant to all kinds of abrasion among the polyurethane varieties. It is extremely resistant to weather conditions and impacts. Moreover, it is possible to color them in various ways and with many methods. It is also suitable for many different manufacturing industries.
- Reaction Injection Molding: It is also known as RIM. It has high dynamic properties with heat resistance and thermal insulation. Today, RIM technology is used in many fields. Some of these fields are the IT sector, construction, sports equipment, and automotive.
- Flexible Polyurethane Foam: Flexible polyurethane foam can be in many forms and hardness. It is lightweight, durable, comfortable, and supportive. It can be used in many different fields. Some of these fields are furniture, packaging, bedding, and the interiors of automotive.
Evaluation can be made within the scope of the given polyurethane types. They can be used in different industries by making the right choice for the appropriate field. You can choose between these raw materials, which have different varieties and can act directly according to their characteristics.
The characteristics of the polyurethane types, provided in the above, are wondered. Of course, their characteristics vary depending on their type. It will be possible to ensure that there are uses where you will gain an advantage when you select directly according to their features. With the right choice, they can be used in the right industry in terms of variety and characteristics.
- Polyurethane density: Density is expressed as the weight per unit volume. It is one of the most important features of flexible polyurethane foam. It expresses the strength and support power and those with higher density can retain their shape for a longer time.
- Polyurethane fatigue: The fatigue test indicates durability. This test is performed by applying 80,000 times to a substance weighing 70 kg. This is determined by comparing the last value to the hardness level before the test. In this way, the density is determined.
- Polyurethane hardness: Hardness for flexible foam polyurethane is expressed as the surface touch or measurement of the foam. Support is expressed as the ability of the foam to push back against its weight. Hardness and support together affect comfort. You should know that the hardness, which is among the properties of polyurethane, is not directly related to density.
- Polyurethane flammability: Since the content of the material is polyol or isocyanates, both thermal and non-thermal problems arise on issues such as pre-ignition, ignition and burning, expansion of burning. Increasing the fire resistance is highly important. Safe usage areas against fire are created with flame retardant materials.
We have provided the characteristics. Usage area and production stage should be determined by considering these characteristics. Since it is an extremely important material process that must be implemented one by one, and a safe environment must be provided. Polyurethane production is carried out with utmost care by considering its characteristics and varieties.